DBM Status Update (Updated Oct 4th, 19)

What's new in DBM
MysticalOS

Re: DBM Status Update (Updated Sept 19th, 19)

Postby MysticalOS » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:42 am

A few people gave feedback that I'm only blaming the dentists and not my own mistakes in last post. I want to take a moment to address that.

I own all my mistakes prior to getting treatment, I even tried covering them in extra history part in spoiler tag. I'm willing to even go back and edit post further if I didn't put enough detail in (ironically I was trying to keep the original post shorter despite how long it ended up being).

I did turn things around. I have been taking much better care of my mouth for a few years now. ANY sign I ever had gum disease is long gone. In fact, even when I went in to have teeth pulled, the teeth were not savable because my failure to get treatment for so long had wrought extensive destruction throughout, but my gums were tough as nails and he actually noticed that.

Post extraction, no teeth in mouth, I continue to clean and treat my gums well every day. I brush my tongue, I brush my roof, and two rinses a day. I've also changed my eating/drinking habits to remove carbonated beverages, any acidic foods, and been medicating before bed to loosen my sinuses to reduce mouth breathing as much as I can so I can avoid dry mouth bacteria breading grounds. Plus, I now keep a bottle of water near bed that I can drink from to re-moisen mouth as often as I wake up in middle of night.

My mistakes are owned, and I'll always own those. Most of the damage came from a period in my life where I was basically homeless and I'm not proud of those years, plus ignoring cavities and issues for over 10 years, even when my care did improve, because I couldn't afford fillings/crowns etc is also not the fault of the doctors I've seen. That's a bigger issue with united states healthcare/insurance system. However, these two doctors don't make that, they just work in it. None of this, is of ANY fault to dentists I've gone and seen nor do I hold any of them responsible. That's all my earlier life poor living and financial issues that have plagued all my life.

However, surely medical professionals withholding stuff is a hard issue? Or charging astronomical costs when other countries charge a FRACTION for same quality work.

I did not expect perfection nor did I expect magic. Just honesty and integrity and I ended up with one dentist who price gouged me 10 grand for extractions, which he didn't even do right (at least for a patient that would be needing implants) because he was under qualified for my case (yet did it anyways instead of being honest). And mind you, these are things the second DENTIST said about him, not me. I didn't even know these things until I was informed by 2nd doctor.

I was completely ignorant when I went to first doctor. I didn't know the difference between a general and a Prosthodontist dentist, and if I had I probably wouldn't be making this post. Trust me, I'll regret that the rest of my life. That is MY patient error. However, it's still within my right to be upset the dentist, who is in field, didn't inform me of this either. I was very clear of my intentions and needs. His intentions were also very clear with that price tag too. In fact, if anything almost this entire post is about one doctor not 2, because all of my issues came from that single appointment. That single mistake. No bone preservation was done, no grafting, no pre extraction bite modeling for the prosthetic conducted before hand. This all cost such a dear amount of time and lost bone, and now, money.

The second doctor, I respect that he educated me greatly, and how very knowledgeable and qualified he is. I also don't put much of blame on him, heck he's one that told me where most of blame is, as I said. The main thing I lost there is just time. Lab he uses sent the wrong denture case once, scheduling lost 2 of my appointments. Even when things weren't errors, I was lucky if they could fit me in once a month (price you pay seeing someone that actually know what they are doing, not enough him to go around!). All these delays that cost many months. He did sincerely apologized for this, and his staff was/is very polite though, but it did still bother me. The other issue was one with ENT, which i still feel like I could have been told about (even if it was only a suspicion) to get ball rolling on that much sooner.

Add that up, that's all a lot of time, and we all know time is the enemy of reabsorption as well. I'm not the reason so much time was lost, but I have to pay the price for it. Smaller and less time tested implants that might very well be inferior, with a chance of a shorter lifespan. Plus the additional time for uppers do to ENT issue, continuing to put risk at reduced options for uppers. Not to mention the potential cost increase too, since I've lose any potential money saving of having upper and lower done at same time and may end up needing more expensive solutions.

I'm not an awful patient. If anything, I clearly put too much faith in one doctor and didn't apply enough pressure to the other. Not saying I should have been more mean, but definitely far more proactive. In my research, and in my engagement and applying pressure to keep things moving quickly.

Trust me, I am not just some finger pointing idiot blaming all of my own mistakes on others. If any details were omitted from earlier entries, it was in attempt to try and be shorter and more to the point. My previous post was me TRYING to be clear and concise with enough history to get gist without being longer than it needed. (Apparently I'm just no good at short posts, case and point).

There are honest mistakes and then there are worse ones.

Anyways, sorry for a another long post. I just hope it clarifies a few things that I apparently failed to address in previous post. I never intend to be anything but honest.

MysticalOS

Re: DBM Status Update (Updated Oct 4th, 19)

Postby MysticalOS » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:31 pm

After much discussion with mother, despite the 25k cost for lower implants, they were done yesterday, October 3rd.

We convinced him to up the number of them from 6 to 7, and he even grafted some bone he found that had cracked. He said I may need gum/tissue grafting still depending on healing but said he'd do that if it's needed at no additional cost.

This procedure should provide excellent long term stability and bone support to avoid additional bone shrinking down the line, with 7, the bone should be able to well retained even long term.

I was not ideal to pay so much, but at same time, didn't have luck with other dentists and most research I had done showed he pretty much was providing me with the best options. He even managed to use 3mm diameter implants which is more than I could have hoped for considering he could have minis that were 2-2.25mm . That was another of my big concerns. the 4-5mm ones would have still be far more ideal but that would have added significant cost and more surgery to basically bone transplant a large bone graft to rebuild my ridge. He was very confident the 7 implants that are 3mm diameter 8mm length would be sturdy enough.

Is it as robust as perfect solution I originally wanted and feel I should have gotten for the same money 6 months ago, no. However, the the mistakes of first doctor and delays thereafter trying to fix the damage he had done, I'm confident in all my research (and trust me i did a lot), that this is best that could be done and the best guy that could do it anywhere close to me. This makes me a bit happier. I hopefully no longer have to worry about 15 years from now having implant failures from only having 4-6 placed in middle and still having bone atrophy on the outer edges of jaw or super thin minis that would fail/break under x amount of hours of chewing load. 7 will be able to really cover things I hope.

There is currently nothing loaded on the implants yet and i'm on a strict liquid diet for 2 weeks right now. Tons of medication too.

Costs for uppers and sinus stuff still up in air, but at least I wont look terrible with facial collapse by the time i'm 50. Still hoping that this story, beginning to end can reach the doctors helping me and they can work with me with what budget I have left for rest of work that still needs doing. Give this coder just a little more hope.

---------------------------------------------------------------
On DBM end:
I had a classic wow side project to put the Hud to good use, which is nearly done. The cool stuff I did with Hud should be remarkable too.

As for remaining classic dungeons, I elected to put them on hold for now. 8.3 is very soon and I'll need to put my time there.

DBM-Classic is more than good enough for the raids (best there is at the moment) and you should defintely use and enjoy it. I also really hope to get the hud stuff into peoples hands soon. Something that'll probably be more popular for leveling players than the dungeon mods were. :)

Return to “News”