DBM Should be used with a voice pack

What's new in DBM
MysticalOS

DBM Should be used with a voice pack

Postby MysticalOS » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:27 pm

Why you should use voice pack and not default sounds:
Encounters have gotten more complex with many abilities and hearing same sounds for multiple warnings causes those sounds to become less effective and get tuned out by user.

In fact, it's lead to many users no longer even paying attention to it and instead customizing all their boss warnings with things like weak auras. What people don't realize is many hours are put into planning and recording custom voice pack warnings that go into dbm that effective eliminate the sound issues all together with a far more pleasant experience. Generic special warning sounds replaced with softer and clearer spoken alerts. Alerts that often and quite literally spell out what warning is for and even what to do for it sometimes. Instead of hearing a pvp flag sound you hear "run over the flowers" in whatever voice pack you choose (yes even multiple to choose from. Even localized ones like korean to speak these things in your preferred language in some cases). Or funny ones such as having Arnold Schwarzenegger telling you what to do.

So you might ask, if it's intended for users to use voice packs, why are they not included in base mod. Two main reasons.
  • 1. Size. It's a lot of media files, and DBM (especially users using alpha versions) can update DBM daily. Making you redownload a package that includes hundreds of media files over and over again is not ideal. Media files for voice packs being a separate optional download lets you only redownload all that media when there is actually a reason to.
  • 2. The work that goes into recording that media is done via multiple 3rd parties. To help support their work, they are ones that should be getting the curse points for said download anyways, not me. You find voice pack (or packs might as well try a few) you like, and download from them.

Where to download:
You can get a pretty big list of voice packs right here (https://www.deadlybossmods.com/downloads.php) as well as finding even more by just doing a search on curse such as https://wow.curseforge.com/search?search=dbm+voice . Just note that some of the no longer maintained/out of date ones may be incomplete. Fortunately even incomplete ones are very usuable. The way dbm is coded, it's smart enough to know that if voice files are missing, to default to original special warning sounds. meaning for example if warning 1 has a voice file but warning 2 does not. Warning 1 plays using voice media and warning 2 will fall back to original sound (be it pvp flag, beware, or destruction, etc). The default and most up to date voice pack will always be VEM https://wow.curseforge.com/projects/dbm ... ctID=87805 . This is one all others are based off of.

How to make your own
Download https://wow.curseforge.com/projects/dbm ... ctID=87828 and then record your own files and replace the files within package. Update ToC with your own info/name etc and repackage it up. When new files are added or changed, the demo gets updated so keep an eye on demo for changes. Unfortunately change log isn't always clear so you may have to compare changes to see what changed. That's something that could be improved upon though in future.

Video Demos showing boss fights with a voice pack:
Mythic Krosus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDw-_LcbkM0
Mythic Star Auger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yP8f5_I1mU

TLDR
1. Voice packs are awesome, you should use one.
2. It doesn't come with DBM by default because, stuff. Download from here: https://wow.curseforge.com/projects/dbm ... ctID=87805
3. Follow instructions on download page.

cornishninja

Re: DBM Should be used with a voice pack

Postby cornishninja » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:03 pm

Thanks. But as a deaf person, voice packs aren't of any use to me. Are there any visual warning packs that do a similar job?

MysticalOS

Postby MysticalOS » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:15 pm

Customizing the UI flashes to be more apparent can help a bit there. You can add more repeat flashes,or change intensity/length of a warning flash.

using notes feature also helps a ton. If a warning is important to you, add your name to the warning to Note for that warning trigger the personal UI flash option. Basically there are 4 different types of warning flashes and which flash that is used is based on type of warning it is and whether or not your name is in the note.

do /dbm then go to options then special warnings and from there can adjust the flash behaviors to suit needs.

I'm also of course interesting in anything else that can be helpful in improving visuals for you corn.

natinusala

Postby natinusala » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:59 pm

Isn't there a way to increse the voice's volume ? I can hear them but it's way too low

MysticalOS

Postby MysticalOS » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:05 pm

Is your master slider at 100%?
The trick with mods like dbm is to always ensure master is at 100% and other sound effects are turned down (or off) in sound settings. such as having SFX at like 30 master at 100 music at 30 dialog at 100.

which voice pack are you using? some more silent than others.I don't really notice any problems with VEM's volume levels. it may be a little softer than traditional special warnings but more than loud enough to hear. Are you able to hear the voice alerts loud enough when watching one of the youtube demos above? That's VEM with normal 100% master volume (and sfx turned off).

natinusala

Postby natinusala » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:49 pm

I have master at 5%, SFX at 100%, music at 45%, ambiance at 55% and discussion at 100%.

The thing is that it's too low compared to the other sounds of the game, and with the TeamSpeak/Discord I can't hear half of the voice alerts =/ I'm using the classic VEM TTS English pack. I feel like the voice pack is lower than the traditionnal voices such as the cooldown or AoE one, that's what feels wrong. I can hear the rest of the game's sounds and music just fine

MysticalOS

Postby MysticalOS » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:51 pm

if master was at 5% everything would be really low. that'd mean SFX is at 5% (100% of master) music would be 45% of 5% and dialog 5% (100% of masters 5%)

master should be 100 always. then rest adjusted accordingly.

the voice recording volume is same as any other dbm sound.

it sounds to me you crank master WAY down, then crank your computer speakers to blaring. to hear something else better, maybe mumble or discord? no telling what side effect that has on recording quality/volume of voices, probably not good :\. not much can be done to fix that if that's way you play. voices are recorded loud enough and any louder people might complain about that.

natinusala

Postby natinusala » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:12 pm

Master is at 5% and Windows is at 50. If I put more than 5% it will blow my ears off.

The thing is not that it's too low, it's that it's too low compared to all other sounds in the game. My volume are correctly balanced, I can hear everything perfectly between the game, my vocal chat and my music. But within the game, the DBM vocal alerts are too low compared to the other sounds of the game, so they are drown under everything else.

Are the voice alerts affected by the SFX volume slider ? If not, I can decrease every slider and increase the master one

MysticalOS

Postby MysticalOS » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:47 pm

Did you change DBM to SFX channel at some point? DBM should be set to dialog or master. all I can tell you is that the voice file volume is fine, if you can't hear them it's because whatever channel DBM is set to, the slider is too low

natinusala

Postby natinusala » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:21 pm

I see, thanks. I'll tinker with the sliders and the DBM channel to find an optimum setting, is there a way for me to launch a test voice alert ?

Return to “News”