Encounters have gotten more complex with many abilities and hearing same sounds for multiple warnings causes those sounds to become less effective and get tuned out by user.
In fact, it's lead to many users no longer even paying attention to it and instead customizing all their boss warnings with things like weak auras. What people don't realize is many hours are put into planning and recording custom voice pack warnings that go into dbm that effective eliminate the sound issues all together with a far more pleasant experience. Generic special warning sounds replaced with softer and clearer spoken alerts. Alerts that often and quite literally spell out what warning is for and even what to do for it sometimes. Instead of hearing a pvp flag sound you hear "run over the flowers" in whatever voice pack you choose (yes even multiple to choose from. Even localized ones like korean to speak these things in your preferred language in some cases). Or funny ones such as having Arnold Schwarzenegger telling you what to do.
So you might ask, if it's intended for users to use voice packs, why are they not included in base mod. Two main reasons.
- 1. Size. It's a lot of media files, and DBM (especially users using alpha versions) can update DBM daily. Making you redownload a package that includes hundreds of media files over and over again is not ideal. Media files for voice packs being a separate optional download lets you only redownload all that media when there is actually a reason to.
- 2. The work that goes into recording that media is done via multiple 3rd parties. To help support their work, they are ones that should be getting the curse points for said download anyways, not me. You find voice pack (or packs might as well try a few) you like, and download from them.
Where to download:
You can get a pretty big list of voice packs right here (https://www.deadlybossmods.com/downloads.php) as well as finding even more by just doing a search on curse such as https://wow.curseforge.com/search?search=dbm+voice . Just note that some of the no longer maintained/out of date ones may be incomplete. Fortunately even incomplete ones are very usuable. The way dbm is coded, it's smart enough to know that if voice files are missing, to default to original special warning sounds. meaning for example if warning 1 has a voice file but warning 2 does not. Warning 1 plays using voice media and warning 2 will fall back to original sound (be it pvp flag, beware, or destruction, etc). The default and most up to date voice pack will always be VEM https://wow.curseforge.com/projects/dbm ... ctID=87805 . This is one all others are based off of.
How to make your own
Download https://wow.curseforge.com/projects/dbm ... ctID=87828 and then record your own files and replace the files within package. Update ToC with your own info/name etc and repackage it up. When new files are added or changed, the demo gets updated so keep an eye on demo for changes. Unfortunately change log isn't always clear so you may have to compare changes to see what changed. That's something that could be improved upon though in future.
Video Demos showing boss fights with a voice pack:
Mythic Krosus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDw-_LcbkM0
Mythic Star Auger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yP8f5_I1mU
1. Voice packs are awesome, you should use one.
2. It doesn't come with DBM by default because, stuff. Download from here: https://wow.curseforge.com/projects/dbm ... ctID=87805
3. Follow instructions on download page.