[Guide] Special Warning Sound Config

Read first guides to get the most out of DBM
MysticalOS

[Guide] Special Warning Sound Config

Postby MysticalOS » Sun May 08, 2016 7:54 pm

*Doing a repost of an earlier page that didn't get enough views since DBM didn't have a news feed yet. This article should show you how to customize your DBM sound experience to be more effective in dungeons/raids.

First up, global special warning settings. Here is what your main special warning sound option window looks like. You get to this window by doing "/DBM" slash in chat frame, then clicking "Options" then "Special Warning Options"
Here you can configure all sorts of options.

Now, if you scroll down further, you can configure each special warning type. Remember. type 1 is generic warning (such as GTFO) or "debuff on you". Type 2 is aoe warning such as "aoe damage incoming", "aoe fear incoming" etc that are important but not something that is individual responsiblity and more of a watch out warning. Type 3 is the VERY Important warning that means "do this or you're going to die" or "this is a raid wiping mechanic if you don't interrupt/do this". Type 4 is the "run away" type that means "you need to run and keep running to get/stay safe". Type 5 is the type that only fires if you enter your name into the Notes Feature (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12). Each type has it's own flash, sound, and repeat options. Below you can see these options.
I highlight the sounds in particular since many users don't realize that these global settings can be changed globally and again have been changing them per mod per warning which is grossly inefficient way of customizing DBM.

Now, onto more advanced special warning config. Per special warning per mod sound config. This was meant for customizing specific warnings to be personal to you. Maybe you are doing a fight like Mythic KJ and there are a lot of aoe warning a lot of personal warnings and more than one instant raid wipe mechanic. So same "beware" etc sounds for each of 5 warning types isn't enough. This is when you want to customize at the mod level instead of global level.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/6V_ut-tczDk

When will this feature be available?

Now! It's been available since May 2013.

Why do we have an enable/disable for a feature like this?

It's a pretty complex feature and one that certainly clutters ui up. It may be more than what some users desire of their UI.

How to Enable?

This feature is always available.

How to Disable?

It can no longer be disabled. It's on for all to stay.

Why do I only see 5 sound options?

Something is wrong with LibSharedMedia. Since this is now packaged into DBM, this should no longer happen. Report a bug on DBM forums if you cannot get it to show more than sounds "SW1", "SW2", "SW3", "SW4", and "SW5"

Why do I not hear my sound?

It's possible you selected a sound that is no longer on your system. Basically, you have an invalid sound selected in your special warning now. Make sure SharedMedia is loaded and a valid sound is selected in your special warning.

Why do sound names differ on different characters/accounts.?

The DBM duplicate filter removes duplicate sound paths so whatever addon is first mod to register a name with LibSharedmedia for sound file is one that wins. Some mods try to use consistent naming to ensure it lines up regardless of which mod registers first. Other mods like to name stuff different though. For example, on my paladin, clcinfo is earlier in alphabet so it registers "explosion" and "you will die" with "clcinfo" in name before Omen or DBM can register better names for them. As far as functionality is concerned though, the correct sound will play regardless of what name won out in the sound list.

Zowyn

Re: [Guide] Special Warning Sound Config

Postby Zowyn » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:57 pm

Is there not a global volume level of dbm alerts? About to go deaf with how loud it is right now.

MysticalOS

Postby MysticalOS » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:27 am

It sounds like you have speakers too loud and application sounds tuned around that. DBM uses Master volume for alerts to ensure mod sounds aren't drowned out by game sounds. people usually configure wow in a way that master volume is comfortable volume and game sounds are lower then that. if you are turning speakers up to hear game sounds at comfortable volume then dbm sounds (and many other mods) become very loud.

Now if you don't want mod sounds to be louder than game sounds you can simply change sound channel from Master to Dialog or SFX. Then it'll match volume of those channels instead of master volume control.

Just do /dbm then click options and then change sound channel used by DBM in first options panel i believe it's in. I don't have my game open right now to confirm that but you'll find it easy enough looking for sound channel setting.

BubbaZanetti

Postby BubbaZanetti » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:49 pm

How can I add a custom sound of my own for the warning system

MysticalOS

Postby MysticalOS » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:23 pm

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17

Which is far from an ideal solution

roma1989

Postby roma1989 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:42 am

Hi, I am your Russian speaking user, I will immediately say I have problems with English and I write this message through the google translator, the fact is that here we have a very popular voice that voiced Ivona Maxim, and if you entered the Russian voice of this person in your addon , It would be very popular!
I will come here once again in the hope that you will answer me!

MysticalOS

Postby MysticalOS » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:04 am

Anyone is free to make and publish a voice pack on curse, in fact i think there is a new russian one on there. I gotta look later

roma1989

Postby roma1989 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:15 am

MysticalOS wrote:Anyone is free to make and publish a voice pack on curse, in fact i think there is a new russian one on there. I gotta look later

Will I have to record my own sounds?

MysticalOS

Postby MysticalOS » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:22 am

If you want to make a voice pack yes. or find one that exists already just go on curse and type dbm voice pack in search

Return to “How to & Support Articles”