DBM still needs your help

What's new in DBM
MysticalOS

DBM still needs your help

Postby MysticalOS » Sun May 08, 2016 10:35 pm

In 2012, DBM partnered up with Elitist Jerks to help bring traffic to the site and connect two user communities together. I also took up managing Elitist Jerks sometime after that. In this time I was able to switch gears into working on DBM as a full time job from home. This has been perfect for me because I am currently a full time care giver for my widowed mother.

Working on DBM full time allowed two things.
1. Massive feature improvement and mod quality. During this time I was able to deliver more feature improvement than DBM had seen in years.
2. While working full time from home, I could be available to my mother more conveniently. If you have never been a primary caregiver, it can be hard to imagine just how much time and energy it demands of you.

Unfortunately, WoW as a whole has changed and Elitist Jerks is a shadow of its former glory. I did my best with it but ultimately we have a game now that doesn't need EJ nearly as much as it used to. Legion further simplifies classes making this even more true. It's basically come down to "what talent do I need for x fight" and that's the entire guide. A basic encounter guide is generally more than enough for average user. Meanwhile, many of the more elite users have branched into class communities. You need DK info? go to Acherus. Need priest? you go to HowToPriest. These communities fit the more modern gameplay of today. As such, Elitist Jerks could no longer support DBM as it and that community have pretty much died off.

Now, I'm asking you, the users of DBM, for support.
I worked very hard getting DBM ready for Legion and continue doing so for all upcoming content. The mods I've created so far are some of the most advanced mods included in DBM yet. The time I've poured in goes well and beyond the time most authors put into any wow addon. I have been there for every raid test, every dungeon (multiple times), countless hours in logs and coding, and have spent lots of time gathering feedback. I want to continue giving the level of support that's made DBM great again these last two expansions. As such, I have launched a Patreon so users can help crowd fund and support DBM's continued full time development.

I know this is asking a lot of users for an addon that's free to all (and will continue to be). Especially since there are other addons people can simply replace DBM with if DBM dies. However, I can promise you that no one will put the time into those addons that I have into DBM. I always strive to have the most accurate timers and most complex user features to ensure DBM can be an all in one solution for everyone. I never consider a mod done until it's perfect. You'll still see me updating something months after everyone else has moved on because I got inspiration for a new idea. I never sit there and go "I guess I'll take a break now". When I say full time I mean FULL TIME. I also work to ensure compatibility with everyone. I make sure DBM works with other mods raids, works with warcraft logs, etc. I even make dev tools that are built into dbm to help support other mod development or help people like Kihra at warcraftlogs collect data in game with ease. I also provide top level support 24/7 to help users get what they need out of the mod. People reach out to me constantly here on forums, on curse or wow interface, even Twitter and Facebook. I take all feedback under advisement and add even the most silly of features for niche cases to ensure every raid style and strategy has an option. If you send me a message on twitter at 5am I'm probably going to wake up and answer it if I can. I basically consider myself always on call.

I've always known that I couldn't work on DBM full time forever. Eventually WoW will come to an end. I'm only asking for help to make it as long as possible. As long as there is a World of Warcraft, I want there to be the best DBM possible for all. Do this, and I promise I will always work my hardest on delivering best mods that I can. Mods I can be proud of. Mods that I myself use as well. It doesn't even take a lot. Just a little from a lot of people. Giving as little as 1 dollar a month still goes a long way. Anything extra that isn't needed to support myself and my mother has always gone into DBM. I've often used my own money to pay other authors to help with certain features, or guilds for their private logs. When I was running EJB, I was using my own money to buy guides for the site. I live off very little so I can give the most to my projects. DBM has never made a lot of money, but for a number of years it has been enough. My fervent hope is that with your help this can continue to be the case. Thank you so much for your support.

You can help right now at : https://www.patreon.com/deadlybossmods?ty=h

MysticalOS

Re: DBM is independent again – needs your help

Postby MysticalOS » Tue May 10, 2016 12:25 am

Because it has been brought up. Here are the rules on Addon donations and support:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1021053914
1) Add-ons must be free of charge.
All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create "premium" versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on.

Whether anyone donates or not, DBM is available to all. DBM is not sold nor does it contain any premium or additional services of any kind. It's also available from multiple public sources to ensure it's easily obtained.

4) Add-ons may not include advertisements.
Add-ons may not be used to advertise any goods or services.

DBM contains no advertisements of any kind. It does not ask anything of the user in game. It's feature complete and has no requirements to use.

5) Add-ons may not solicit donations.
Add-ons may not include requests for donations. We recognize the immense amount of effort and resources that go into developing an add-on; however, such requests should be limited to the add-on website or distribution site and should not appear in the game.

As stated in 4. DBM asks for nothing in game. Has no donation links or anything. Per number 5, such requests are only on the mods actual website and completely voluntary. Users can obtain the full addon whether they support it or not. There are no barriers that prevent users from obtaining the addon that'd make them think otherwise. In fact the first thing a user will see when they come to deadlybossmods.com is the download link right at the top. DBM simply asks for support for the hosting and development costs if the users want to help out but does not require payment of any kind to use the mod.
Addon authors have been asking for support/donations on webpages and curse/wowinterface for years. Most addons contain paypal links and other addons such as tukui/elvui also have subscription/donation models similar to what DBM is asking for now.

I want to be clear that I'm not twisting anyones arm. Support as little or as much as you can, or not at all. Keep using DBM either way. The mod will always be free. Support is simply to cover the development and hosting costs.

MysticalOS

Postby MysticalOS » Tue May 10, 2016 1:46 am

Also, my patreon is not to be confused with https://www.patreon.com/DBM . This one is definitely not mine. Haha

Flick

Postby Flick » Mon May 16, 2016 1:09 pm

Hi! Long time user and first time Patreon.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work for making DBM. Honestly imagine if everyone that used your content pledged $1. That would be incredible.

Good luck with project.

MysticalOS

Postby MysticalOS » Mon May 16, 2016 4:19 pm

If every user did that, I'd have monthly lotteries to give away random 10k cash prizes or something because I could never keep that much haha.

Yes I know what you mean though. It's why I tell community over and over again don't empty your pockets. Just throw a couple dollars you found in washing machine per month that you won't miss. No one goes broke and everyone wins!

D Luniz

Postby D Luniz » Mon May 16, 2016 7:59 pm

while I know it was dropped because of the extra work involved in updating it, how much extra would you need to get the auto updater running again?

MysticalOS

Postby MysticalOS » Mon May 16, 2016 9:29 pm

For the most part curse auto updater works fine. Even for alpha versions. Is there a particular reason you want a stand alone?

D Luniz

Postby D Luniz » Tue May 17, 2016 4:31 pm

mainly just severe distrust of the curse client

Digitalneo

Postby Digitalneo » Wed May 18, 2016 6:46 pm

Man, Adam is at $1000 on Patreon last I looked.

He'll be able to afford a whole development team at this rate lol

Update: now $1171

MysticalOS

Postby MysticalOS » Wed May 18, 2016 7:00 pm

Yes It's moving pretty well with the wowhead and mmochamp posts. not quite to "whole development team" yet though. Although if that keeps up I'll have to add more stretch goals. I think it'll start to slow down though. the MMOC and wowhead posts will get buried and it'll start to trickle slowly again.

Return to “News”